And I love 'her' v.2

I was going to write a blog post about Spike Jonze's new film 'her' and I had tonnes of clever stuff lined up about relationships, and the future, and technology, and about being a human being, and...y'know, life.

Then I remembered, he'd already done it himself in January in the old Sight and Sound:

'I was thinking about how I interact with technology every day, how much everybody I know does, and what that means.... There is a distancing to relationships today, and it's obviously a big part of the movie, but it's not necessarily just technology, it's also the tempo at which we live our lives, and the amount of information and communication that come at us and that we're expected to react to. It's easy to say technology connects us and it's easy to say that it doesn't. There's no black and white, the conversation is more complicated, and it's in those grey areas that it's interesting and real. I tried to make a movie that expresses all the contradictions in my own feelings, not only about technology but also in terms of romantic relationships - how our yearnings and limitations contradict themselves: our desire for connection and our fear of connection; our desire to be seen and our fear of being seen.' (James Bell, 2014:22-25)

I think it is refreshing to hear a filmmaker not pretend to have any answers, and I also think that you don't need to listen to me. J

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Aesthetic Cinema of Wong Kar-Wai

Merry Christmas

'Drive'